Day 21 – Kennack Sands to Porthoustock

Well I guess it had to happen some time! We had been in two minds whether to walk today as the forecast was not brilliant, but we took a chance – and this time it didn’t really pay off.

We started out in a fine mizzle and spent the walk getting wetter and wetter either from precipitation or very overgrown shrubbery along the path.

The light rain was behind us coming from the west as we walked east, so at least it wasn’t in our faces, but visibility was poor with leaden skies making for grey, dismal seas. But somehow or other it didn’t seem to really  matter and we didn’t allow it to dampen our spirits.

So at 9.55am we retraced steps we had taken at the end of our walk last time, cutting along the back of the beach at Kennack Sands, determined to make the best of things.

Given the conditions, there aren’t many photos from the day, but we managed to salvage a few highlights.

The first was this patch of gloriously scented honeysuckle.


And once again someone had created this funny little character at Downas Cove – this time from a discarded buoy.


Hilary counted 89 steps up to Beagles Point – and these had to have been made by a giant – they were huge strides – much too high and steep for our little legs, although we did manage to negotiate them.

For much of our walk today, someone had taken care to strim the path, although there were places where it hadn’t been done and we could really have done with it! We weren’t sure whether it is because this is a little used section of the coast path, with less footfall and therefore more overgrown in places. We certainly didn’t see many other walkers – I imagine they all had more sense than us, given the weather!

At about 11.45am we reached this tiny lookout at Black Head.

It has obviously been used as a proper coastguard lookout in its time, but now just acts as a shelter from the weather with some interesting tourist information plaques of the area.

We thought this pretty little sweet scented flower was meadowsweet – but later Hilary identified it as the common meadow rue which is very similar.


I thought this avenue of foxgloves was worthy of a snap.


The path around Chynallis Point was probably our trickiest yet. Because of the damp conditions the rocky uneven path became treacherous underfoot. The undergrowth made it even worse, because sometimes you couldn’t see where to step. I was really glad of my walking pole and the two of us had to really have our wits about us.

We reached Coverack at 12.20. After a brief respite from the rain, the weather came in again as we trudged through the town.

Coverack was certainly not looking its best, although a few hardy tourists were enjoying the local carrot cake as they overlooked the harbour.

Beyond Coverack it looked like there had been some gorse burning, or swaling. The charred stems stood out from the flourishing new growth.


Although this sign was very obvious, the quarry does not look like it is currently being worked.


The whole area is bleak and neglected. There is a new-ish perimeter fence to the quarry and it’s obvious they really don’t want you to stray off the path.

Although it is not being worked at the moment there have been unsuccessful moves afoot to re-open it as a superquarry. This link gives more information about the background : Dean Quarry

The only signs of life on the beach were these gulls , which did not expect to be disturbed anytime soon.

The whole place gave off an air of disuse and desertion. These great ugly silos lie empty.


Leaving the quarry behind us we knew that we would soon be walking inland, as there is no right of way along the coast here. We decided to give the dogs a run around on the beach for a few moments, keeping an eye out for the path inland. Unfortunately we lost sight of the path completely and ended up rock climbing over stretches of the beach in a futile attempt to find another way up. Eventually we realised we would have to retrace our steps, but not before clambering around rather alarmingly on the great boulders at the far end of the beach at Godrevy Cove. Thankfully, coming from the other direction we spotted the way marker for our path and knew we were back on track.

Just a little further and we reached our destination at Porthoustock at 2.45pm, where we finished off with our selfie. Unfortunately Porthoustock has a similar air of abandonment about it to the quarry. Hopefully a better day would bring it to life.


So with webbed feet and damp clothes we gathered ourselves together for home!






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s