Day 24 – Falmouth Quay to Place and St Anthony Head


Having finished at Falmouth Quay at the end of our last stretch we had decided to have a day out riding the Falmouth Ferries in order to end up at the start point for our next walking day across the water at St Anthony Head.

Hilary had taken on the challenge of working out the best combination of timetables for the ferries, buses and trains so that we would travel as far as we could up river and down again in the day and ensuring that we had also included the ferry crossing to Place which we would need to use to continue the short distance to St Anthony Head.

So starting with the  10.05 ferry out of St Mawes


– having had extra breakfast sustainance! – we enjoyed the ride to Falmouth and then on towards Truro. Because of the tide times, the ferry would only be able to take us as far as Malpas, where they lay on a bus for the ferry passengers, to reach Truro.

This would be our longest ferry trip of the day and because we were the first passengers on board, the ferrymen seemed to take a shine to us and made a special effort to do a brilliant commentary which we thoroughly enjoyed.


Although the weather was generally good, we went through a spell of drizzle which sent all the other passengers scurrying down below for cover. However we determindely sat it out on the open deck and between waterproofs and brollies, continued the journey without getting too damp! The rain passed and the sun came out and we soon dried off. One of the stops on the River Fal is at Trelissick from where you can see the King Harry Ferry crossing.


This is a popular stop with tourists visiting the National Trust Trelissick Estate.

Along this part of the river native scrub oaks line the river banks on both sides, and you can see the evidence of the incredibly high tides that occur in this area – apparently the tide can rise and fall by as much as 19 foot.

Beyond the King Harry Ferry, our ferry continued on along the River Truro and we passed the Tregonian estate which, we were told, is the only place in the British Isles with the right climate for growing tea – and we could see the tea plantations in the fields around and about.

Picking up the connecting bus from Malpas we arrived in Truro and did a bit of a route march to Truro station (about 10 minutes) where we arrived well in time for the 12.20 Maritime Line train back to Falmouth.

Arriving back in Falmouth we made our way to the Prince of Wales Pier from where we planned to catch the ferry back to St Mawes and then on to Place. The Prince of Wales pier proved to be a much longer walk along the main drag in Falmouth than we were expecting. This caught us on the hop a bit when we were trying to get a bit of lunch using some vouchers from Rowes Bakers, but in the end we managed to grab a scrumptious pasty and roll followed by double chocolate muffins along with hot drinks and just about made the 2pm ferry to St Mawes.

Here we pottered around waiting for the tiny ferry to Place.


From Place we walked around to St Anthony Head where we finished our lunch. We arrived at the lighthouse at about 3pm …


..taking care to prepare ourselves for a possible fog warning!!


Thank goodness there were no signs of fog today.

After nosing around the St Anthony Battery..


… we made sure we knew where the car park is situated for the start of our next day’s walking and then walked back to Place where the ferry was just pulling in as we got to quay.

We got back to the car at about 4.30pm having had a brilliant day out using the very convenient FalRiver Mussel card and all ready for being back on the (walking) road next time.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s